Converting my fan page to the new Facebook Timeline format was one thing but how to add your website to Facebook was another.
Just before I went off to Spain I suddenly realized that the day before I was due to come back my Detox Facebook Fan Page would be changed to the new Timeline format and I wasn’t ready for it.
In fact, I had only recently got some new graphics done for it. I had seen some Timeline pages but hadn’t realized that it would be compulsory, and certainly not so soon. ( Where had I been!)
I contacted the guy from fiverr who had done the graphics to see if he could convert the graphics to the Timeline format but he said it would be as much work as doing the originals so I would have to get some new ones designed.
I thought that was fair enough so I went ahead and got him to design a new Facebook Timeline cover for me. He completed the gig very quickly and I was all set to go.
That went smoothly enough but as I joined Green Organics International while I was away on holiday in Spain I wanted to link to my new website from a tab on my Facebook fan page.
I am a member of Jo Barnes Social Networking Academy and she has a ton of videos in the members area and I felt sure she must have made a video about this.
As it turned out she was just in the process of recording some but another member sent me to her own video that showed you how to use Jo’s drag and drop templates just for that purpose.
The problem was that I have two Facebook accounts. ( I know, I know, see the side note further on). I have one personal account and one for internet marketing and when I tried to use the drag and drop templates I found that my fan page could not be selected.
It had been created from my personal account and my Social Networking Academy membership is linked to the same email address as my Facebook business account
Side note: Now before you leave me a comment about having two Facebook accounts I am well aware that some people say it is against Facebook’s Terms & conditions. But, at one Facebook Workshop I went to in London two Facebook Coaches said it was perfectly OK as long as you use a different email address. And to make money on Facebook they actively encourage it! So if you are going to comment on it then sorry but I have heard it all before so don’t waste your time!
So, that was the end of that idea. What next?
I felt sure there had to be an app for it but I didn’t want one that was going to be complicated to set up. I shy away from any coding stuff. I searched the internet for a solution and eventually found an app that seemed just the ticket.
And it was!
The app was easy to use and did exactly what I wanted.
So, if you want to know how to add your website to Facebook here’s a simple solution:
1. Log into your facebook account and go here for the app:
2. Click on Install Page Tab and you will get taken to the Add Page Tab. Here you’ll see a list of your Facebook pages so just select the one you want and click on “add page tab.”
3. Then you will get the Tab Settings page. Here you should to select “enable” Timeline mode. Then, you’ll upload your tab image if you have one ready. It’s a good idea to have some call to action on it to encourage visitors to click on it. You can’t have any call to actions now on your profile cover image.
I found someone on fiverr who was offering to create 3 tab images for $5.00.
4. Now you enter the URL for the page you’d like to direct people to in the Page Source field. You can choose to use scroll bars or not. or adjust the height to suit if you know what it is. I had to enable the scroll bars to get the full width of my site to appear.
5. Finally you can name your tab. This will show up under the tab on your page as a clickable link, so call it something that will entice your visitors to click on it.
6. Save your tab and that’s it!. Now you know how to add your website to Facebook so that it appears right inside your fan page.
Have you added your website to your fan page? If so why not share how you did it with my readers?